Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual Box and Desktop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Box and Desktop
    Posted: 24 May 2009 at 8:33pm

I am running Virtual Box on Windows 7 RC with Desktop. On first screen I have Windows stuff. On second I have started VirtualBox running XP
and on the third screen I am trying to start another VirtualBox running Ubuntu.
When I am trying to start virtual box (the main UI to fire ubuntu) I get error message.
"Failed to create the VirtualBox COM Object"
"The application will terminate now" Could not lock the setting file "C:\Users\robert\.virtualbox\VirtualBox.xml"
(VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION)

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {779264f4-65ed-48ed-be39-518ca549e296}

I just shutdown my Virtual Box and than exited (End Tree) Desktop and I can start multiple VirtualBox jsut fine.
I also noticed that Windows 7 Snipping Tool also failes to work under Desktop. Anyone else noticed that?

This seems to work just fine with out Desktop running. Not sure if it is a problem with Desktop or VirtualBox.
Are there any updates to Desktop comming our way? It is a great utility!!!! Something like that should be build int to Windows long time ago.
Thank you Mark

Robert
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:52am
Hi Robert,

Sounds like the apps you refer do were not meant to have multiple instances running at the same time. 

Quote Could not lock the setting file
Seems like running multiple VirtualBoxes is not the same as running separate VirtualBox instances on separate desktops...  If VirtualBox includes the notion of "profiles", that could be one solution.  Another would seem to be to start another instance of the VirtualBox software on another desktop, as a different user than the one already running the instance on a previous desktop.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic