Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slow Win7 boot Cryptographic Service i/o hotfix?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Win7 boot Cryptographic Service i/o hotfix?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Win7 boot Cryptographic Service i/o hotfix?
    Posted: 05 April 2012 at 12:22pm
the audiodg service accesses the CAT files when the service is started the first time.

The more updates / MUIs you have installed, the longer it takes.
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 7:40pm
So both cryptsvc and audiodg verify all the cat files?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by tamahome tamahome wrote:

So when you uninstall an application, you have to wait for trustedinstaller to clean up?

the wait time is only required if you do servicing operations to the OS like removing updates which are superseded (replaced by newer versions).

tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 10:04pm
So when you uninstall an application, you have to wait for trustedinstaller to clean up?  I had no idea.  I uninstall things and then reboot all the time.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1306-Demystifying-the-WinSxS-directory-in-Windows-XP,-Vista-and-Server-20032008.html

Edited by tamahome - 18 March 2012 at 10:17pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 9:36pm
this is the Scavenging. Trustedinstaller removes the files if the PC is idle for a while.

No this is not covered in Marks book.
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 8:47pm
I think I've got it.  You have to wait for the mysterious 'TrustedInstaller.exe' to finish, in about 5 hours.  (Is that covered in Mark's book?)  It recovers almost 15 gigs of space!

Edited by tamahome - 18 March 2012 at 8:47pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 7:08pm
yes, I saw this, too. Te more cat fiels you have, the longer it takes too startthe audio service. For me it takes 30s to get sound after boot :(
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 6:18pm
I see.  There's a scheduled task called 'lpremove' that runs after the computer starts and becomes idle for 10 minutes.  (I think this is wrong and it removes language mui packs from Windows Home.)  It stops if the computers stops being idle.  I haven't gotten a handle yet on how to run it manually and see when it's done.  Strange mechanism.

Also audiodg.exe seems to be polling the catroot for some reason.

Edited by tamahome - 15 March 2012 at 6:19pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 3:44pm
are the fiels still there are running Win7 a while? The servicing stack uninstalls the packages but deletes the files later when the PC is idle.
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 5:01am

I've tried something like

pksetup /u ar-sa bg-bg cs-cz ...

but it leaves all the files in the catroot behind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic