Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Process Explorer "Help" problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Process Explorer "Help" problem
    Posted: 20 February 2006 at 9:24pm
My Process Explorer has none... It says "Action Canceled" when I click on "Help" in the tool bar. I have checked my windows settings, they seem to be OK. I have no other known Explorer problems.

Got any ideas?
dave77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 10:01pm

This is caused by an odd interaction with WindowsXP SP2 security. To resolve:

1) Go to the directory where PE is installed

2) Double-click on procexp.chm

3) When the security dialog box pops up, uncheck "Always ask before opening this file"

Now PE help should work correctly.

It took me quite a while to figure this one out when it happened to me

namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 3:53am
If that doesn't work:

- right-click on procexp.chm
- pick Properties, then Unblock
Gil
Winslow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 6:09am
That did it! Thanks guys!

This is ONE awesome program!
valkenaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valkenaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:17pm
Tried all those things but no luck for me.  In fact, I'm not able to get the help to open by double-clicking on it (same "Action cancelled" message).

Any ideas on what would be causing this?  If I copy the 'chm' file locally I can double-click on it just fine.
namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:29pm
Quote I'm not able to get the help to open by double-clicking on it

This seems to be at odds with ...
Quote I can double-click on it just fine.

Opening the CHM file direct should be fine then. Opening from within PE requires that:

- the CHM file is in the same folder as procexp.exe
- if you are using a shortcut to start procexp.exe its "start in" folder must be the folder containing procexp.chm (and procexp.exe)
- the CHM file should not be Blocked (see above)
Gil
valkenaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valkenaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:46pm
Perhaps I should have been more clear: double-clicking on the chm file in the UNC location (\\filer\path\procexp.chm) doesn't work.  That's probably the bottom line.

I've tried all the registry hacks, I don't have an "Unblock" button, and I don't get a security dialog pop-up.  It just doesn't work from the network.

I like having procexp.exe on the network because I then don't have to install it on every client I go to.  It's a small matter to not have the help available - just trying to make my install "clean".
namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 3:08am
Quote I like having procexp.exe on the network

..which is actually in contravention of the licensing terms:

"A commercial license is required to use the software in any way not covered above, including for example: Redistributing the software in any manner, including by computer media, a file server..."

Edited by namrehto - 22 March 2006 at 3:09am
Gil
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 5:07am
Originally posted by valkenaar valkenaar wrote:

double-clicking on the chm file in the UNC location (\\filer\path\procexp.chm) doesn't work. That's probably the bottom line.

This problem is not limited to Sysinternals CHM files. It is a security feature introduced by Microsoft. Please read this Knowledge Base article:

You cannot open remote content by using the InfoTech protocol ...

This article describes, too, how you may admit certain UNC path specifications so that opening of CHM files will work again.

Karl
wguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 7:41am

Any way to retick the "Always ask before opening this file" thingy?  Only asking as that alone failed at joy, but the "unblock" deal did, so now I'm thinking that if I don;t somehow re-tick "Always..this kind of file", that my system will now never again ask before opening that kind of file.

Thanks much if affording reply.

Happ-e-trails,

wguru

My best to all and to all, happ-e-trails,

wguru
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic