Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vista and PageDefrag?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista and PageDefrag?
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 4:11am
Hi!

Does PageDefrag work on Vista?
The webpage about it doesn't mention Vista compatiblity, but neither does it say it doesn't work...
I'm not keen on trying it out without knowing for sure as clearly if it didn't work correctly I could be left in a mess!

Best wishes,

Andrew
namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 6:31am
To judge by PageDefrag on Vista, Pagedefrag compatibility and PageDefrag it would appear that it causes some problems. Unhappy
Gil
cantoris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 6:42am
Ah thanks for those URLs!
Let's hope it's updated soon for Vista.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Bill.Hoelzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill.Hoelzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 7:49am
Is there any news on a version of PageDefrag that will work with Vista?

This is a utility that I normally place on all Windows XP machines before putting them into production.

Thanks.
bigbmarketing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbmarketing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 10:35pm

Installing PageDefrag on Vista.

I have PageDefrag installed on my Windows Vista computer. It was a challenge to figure out what to do to get it to install but here is what worked.
1) Put the 3 PageDefrag install files in your root Directory aka c:\
2) Turn off the Account Control --- yes, I know that is probably not the best suggestion but you have to do it to install.
3) reboot your computer and log into your administrator account.
4) Install PageDefrag
5) Remember to turn your Accout Control back on
6) Reboot your computer  and log back into your normal windows account

When you reboot the page defrag will run at the start up.
If you want to make any changes to PageDefrag or to uninstall you have to log back into your administrator account but you do not have to turn off your account control.

Pooponstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooponstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 3:29pm
Actually I was able to move the file to the root drive, uncheck read-only on all including the folder(s), then run as administrator.  Worked very well.
All good things must come to an end.
babaob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babaob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by bigbmarketing bigbmarketing wrote:

Installing PageDefrag on Vista.

I have PageDefrag installed on my Windows Vista computer. It was a challenge to figure out what to do to get it to install but here is what worked.
1) Put the 3 PageDefrag install files in your root Directory aka c:\
2) Turn off the Account Control --- yes, I know that is probably not the best suggestion but you have to do it to install.
3) reboot your computer and log into your administrator account.
4) Install PageDefrag
5) Remember to turn your Accout Control back on
6) Reboot your computer  and log back into your normal windows account

When you reboot the page defrag will run at the start up.
If you want to make any changes to PageDefrag or to uninstall you have to log back into your administrator account but you do not have to turn off your account control.

Thanks a million ! I followed your trick , and thanks to it , I could save 15 GB of my  Hard Disk
Once more Thanks !
I used Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32 bits .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic