Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Disk2vhd
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VM was unable to write to one of its virtual disks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VM was unable to write to one of its virtual disks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratm4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VM was unable to write to one of its virtual disks
    Posted: 27 July 2011 at 10:39am
Hello

I apologize if this issue was already answered, but I couldn't find it.
I've also read this but it didn't work.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), I've made a VHD file of my old Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit), with "Prepare for use in Virtual PC" option checked.
I've created new virtual machine, attached this file, but every time I try to run it on Virtual PC (the one integrated into Windows7) I get a message:

"'[Virtual machine name]' was unable to write to one of its virtual hard disks"

I'm not sure what's wrong, I have a regular XP virtual machine, and it works fine, and the VHD file isn't read only, has all the permissions. File is on my HDD (1st partition). I really don't know why it won't run, could you give me a hand?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ratm4n - 27 July 2011 at 2:48pm
commer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 7:49am
I have the same problem, win 7 pro 64bit and old pc image winxp sp3. I can run the virtual machine from the external usb drive, not from c:

Edited by commer - 25 January 2012 at 7:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic