Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VMMAP. How to...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harisma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VMMAP. How to...
    Posted: 11 February 2012 at 4:05pm
Прошу тех, кто с ней плотно и регулярно работает, дать мне ответ на такие
вопросы:
1. В верхней части VMMAP есть 3 линейки: Committed, Private Bytes и
Working Set. Что каждая из них обозначает и на которую их этих линеек в
первую очередь стоит обращать внимание, при попытке определить, чем и на
сколько занята виртуальная память, выделенная программе?
2. Что будет с данными в многопользовательском приложении, если
периодически через VMMAP очищать Working Set?
3. Может ли периодическая очистка Working Set помочь в решении проблемы
"Out of memory"?
4. Что означают данные в столбцах Size, Committed и Private? (просьба
объяснить человеческим понятным языком)

ПС: причина, побудившая меня задать эти вопросы, состоит в том, что на
просторах инетва я не нашел внятных ответов на них. А на некоторые вообще
ответы отсутствуют. Потому и спрашиваю тех, кто этим пользуется в работе.
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 9:21pm
Please ask the question again in English!
harisma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harisma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 8:06am
I ask those who with it regularly works to give me the answer to such questions:
1. In the top part VMMAP there are 3 rulers: Committed, Private Bytes and Working Set.
What each of them designates and on which they of these rulers first of all should be paid attention, at attempt to determine, than and on virtual memory allocated to the program how many is engaged?
2. What will be with the data in the multiuser application, if periodically through VMMAP to clear Working Set?
3. Can periodic clearing Working Set help with the decision of a problem "Out of memory"?
4. What mean the data in columns Size, Committed and Private? (request to explain by human clear language)

PS: the reason which has induced me to set these questions, is, that on internet resources I have not found the good answers on them. And on some in general answers are absent. Therefore I ask those who uses it in work.

Thanks.
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:51pm
It is still not easy to understand.

The answers to most of your questions are in the VMMAP help.

1. For eample,
  • Commit Summary Graph This graph shows the committed (memory that represents data or code) memory usage of the process by type. The graph's scale is the total committed virtual memory usage of the process.

• Private Summary Graph This graph shows the committed private virtual memory. This memory is backed by the paging file and charged against the system commit limit. It corresponds to the PrivateBytes performance counter.

• Working Set Summary Graph This graph shows the working set usage of the process by memory type. Working set represents the amount of commited virtual memory that's in physical memory and owned by the process. The graph's scale is the total committed virtual memory.

Working Set is the amount of physical memory used by the process. Committed memory is the virtual memory that is represented by physical memory or pagefile for the process. Private bytes is virtual memory that cannot be shared with other processes.

2. The 'Empty Working Set' command in VMMAP releases the physical memory used by the process. The data will either be paged out or the pages will be reclaimed from the standby list if the application references them first.

3. No. Working set is physical memory. Out of memory happens when the sum of committed memory for all processes is greater than the commit limit. The commit limit is the sum of physical memory + the size of the pagefiles.

4. Size is the virtual memory that the process has reserved. The memory is committed when it is used for something. Private is virtual memory which cannot be shared by other processes. 

You can find out more in these articles. 

Mysteries of Memory Management Revealed,with Mark Russinovich (Part 1 of 2) | Tech·Ed North America 2011 | Channel 9

Mysteries of Memory Management Revealed,with Mark Russinovich (Part 2 of 2) | Tech·Ed North America 2011 | Channel 9

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

You need to find a Russian speaker to help you.

harisma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harisma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 7:46am
Thanks a lot for your help for my.
"Russian speakers" on russian forums can't help me, because my similar questions already half-week does not any answer Cry
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 12:17pm
Unfortunately, it's 45 years since I learnt Russian.
Carlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:21pm
HI,

I watched at Mark's videos and a question arise...

Slide 20 in WCL406 states that system commit charge include "Read/write file pages". Question is: which file type Mark refers to ?

As far as I understand memory-mapped file pages are backup by the file itself on the disk..

Thanks in advance....
LMiller7 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMiller7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 5:38pm

Any file type could be used as a memory mapped file.

Normally memory mapped files are backed by the file itself. But it is also possible to create a file mapping object that does not refer to a file at all. This could be used for such things as sharing data between processes. In this case it would be backed by the pagefile.

Carlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:24pm
right, this is ok....but the question is related to VMMAP view of a process running an executable image

For instance, as you can see in attach, the detail for notepad.exe image show a committed region of 32K (Read/Execute) for .text section

Now, from my understanding, .text section contain executable code (no writable attribute) so it would be backed by the image file itself...

Why VMMAP show this region as committed ?

Note: From VMMAP help
Committed:
The amount of the allocation backed by system virtual memory (RAM and paging files) and charged against the system commit limit)

VMMAP-notepad.zip
Carlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 4:37pm
Maybe it could be a misunderstanding in VMMAP help....the column "committed" could mean all committed memory (backed either by RAM+pagefile or "normal" file (image/data) on the disk) ?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic