Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Internals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the Syntax: nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 12:57am
Thanks for the info Scott.
LOCKMAN9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOCKMAN9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 2:44am
I would say if you are getting strange symbol info then verify your symbol path is correct.
srv*C:\"yourDownloadSymbolFolder"*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
also make sure that you have the current version of the debugging tools installed and it is pointing to the debugger help dll
Mine is.
C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)\dbghelp.dll

if one of those paths are messed up you will get strange results. once i fixed my paths and  used symchk to download the exact symbol for my version of ntdll.dll in the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll , i no longer got the strange symbol info.
Another file i got no symbol info for i did the same thing and was able to get the info then copied it to the regular symbol folder. see previous post for link on how to do that.
LOCKMAN9
thenumberdevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenumberdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:21am
undname ??_C@_0BN@KLOBBEB@Enabling?5heap?5debug?5options?6?$AA@FNODOBFM@

is  ?? ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string’:

So the debugger is simply displaying the undecorated name of the symbol.

-The Number Devil-
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 7:27am
ok, I found this statement on the MSFT Debugging Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2013/03/29/debugging-a-network-connectivity-issue-tracknblowner-to-the-rescue.aspx

but hold on,  what is “ nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string”?  This doesn’t seem to be a useful function name, no its not!  This is a side effect of Basic Block Tools optimization (BBT).  Using public symbols the debugger will find it hard to get to the right symbol, there is a nice a trick you can use in order to get to the right function.

Binary Profile Feedback Optimization framework (Basic Block Tools (BBT))
BBT is a suite of optimization tools designed to help reduce the working-set requirements for a Win32 application by applying advanced static analysis and code layout heuristics, and integrating profile data gathered from monitoring the program execution flow. In addition, BBT rearranges static data and resources sections for additional paging reduction.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/cse/bit_projects.mspx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic