FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWin2K: ProcMon May Cause Immediate Reboot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 2:48pm
Hi tsmets,

Judging by the sparse amount of recent activity in this matter, I'm inclined to think that the behavior is quite isolated and likely affected by other components installed on / interacting with the system.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
repnescas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 11:35pm
So now the latest Process Monitor v2.7 doesn't even support Win2K at all (?):

Runs on:
  • Client: Windows XP SP2 and higher
  • Server: Windows Server 2003 SP1 and higher
...from here.

Is there any archive of the older versions of ProcMon?
Resistance is futile :: The weak will perish :: I am obsolete
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 11:37am
Hi repnescas,

Sysinternals utilities are offered "as is" - there is no "support".

Windows 2000 is not listed in the Runs On box for Process Monitor, as you have discovered; the following seems relevant:
Runs On in download box:
Quote We only list back to XP on the client side and Windows Server 2003 on the server side, though our tools may still run on earlier operating systems.

However, I do recall that others have not reported the best experience running recent versions of Procmon on Windows 2000.

Also of interest may be this, in the "Filemon and Regmon End of Life on 9/1/09 " section:
Quote ... We only aim to make Sysinternals tools work on Windows XP and higher ...

Previous versions of Sysinternals utilities are not available for download on the Sysinternals site.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
repnescas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 4:59pm
Thanks for the links, molotov.

Unfortunately, I didn't expect the end of life for Filemon and Regmon so early - i missed it for about 1.5 months. Confused

I just wander, what is so different between XP and Win2K that many companies leave out Win2K from System Requirements?
There is no computable task that can be performed on XP but not on Win2K. I assume it's just vendors' convenience to leave out Win2K as a derelict OS, and due to several more user and (less) kernel functions in WinXP... Ermm
BTW: I do have XP machine but never liked XP much...

I've already modified few small programs to exclude XP-specific functions - for example replaced GetNativeSystemInfo() with GetSystemInfo() and the application runs on Win2K.

There are also few XP API Wrapper packs for Win2K that allow running iTunes, QuickTime, Real and Shockwave Player, games like Medal of Honor, and many more.
Such packs contain a number of "dummy" and "emulated" functions, but the total number of "expanded" (newly written) functions is only about 20.

OK, this is going off-topic and I know that Win2K is dying... Dead I can accept it, but my opinion is that dropping Win2K from many applications is not yet justified.

Anyway, I "natively" come from UNIX world on non-x86 (i. e. non-PC) based machines, which somewhat excludes Linux, so it might be said I went astray into the Realm of Windows... Ying Yang

Regards.

Resistance is futile :: The weak will perish :: I am obsolete
wang888 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 9:28am

Windows 2000 SP4 with all the latest updates.

Even weirder is I seem to remember it working normally a while ago on the same server.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic