Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 cannot find taskmgr.exe error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 cannot find taskmgr.exe error
    Posted: 05 August 2010 at 1:44am

After asking Process Exprore to replace Task Manager the first time and tried to  run it I had a message "...taskmgr.exe invalid parameters". I reinstalled a second time with the latest version from live.sysinternals.com and now I get the error message indicated in the subject line. Ouch

PS: This happens Windows 7 Proffessional 64 Bits.
GMG
ionreflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ionreflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 2:48am
You can share your thanks to nullptr by viewing his post...

Wink
ion][reflex
[reflexion]
GMG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 1:36am

I'm happy to report that I solved the problem. This is a small bug but the fix and work around is simple. With the help of Autoruns -> Images Hijack tab I discovered that the substitution for taskmgr.exe recorded is PROCEXP64.EXE

PROCEXP64.EXE is a helper program that Process Explorer creates when it runs in a 64 bit environment, but it gets deleted uppon exit, so, the image substitution can't find the target. To fix it edit the two registry keys to point to PROCEXP.EXE instead and that's it. The keys are:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe =  ...your path...\procexp.exe
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe = ...your path...\procexp.exe 
Again this is true for Windows 7 64 bit. I had a previous version of Process Explorer running on XP 64 bit and didn't have this problem.
Smile  
GMG
GMG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 1:43am
I see that nullptr already posteed exactly the same fix. I missed it in my initial search. Thanks anyway.
GMG
eLeMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 9:51pm
I have another fix for this that doesn't require regedit.

Perspectivism.
beflint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beflint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 11:18pm
NO NEED TO EDIT REGISTRY!  THE 64BIT WINDOWS 7 SOLUTION IS SIMPLER THAN YOU THINK.
1. Download Sysinternal Suite.
2. Copy procexp.exe and procexp64.exe somewhere under "c:\program files" folder.  I used "c:\program files\bin" for my standalone utilities such as Sysinternal stuff.
3. Execute the procexp.exe that you just copied under the "c:\program files" folder.
4. On the Process Explorer menu, selction Options, Replace Task Manager.
5. YOUR DONE.   PROBLEM SOLVED.
The important thing is that you must put both procexp*.exe files under the "c:\program files" folder!
Bill in San Diego :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic