Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - bginfo expects a newer version of windows (win 98)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bginfo expects a newer version of windows (win 98)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bginfo expects a newer version of windows (win 98)
    Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:39am
Hi all,
I have just rolled out bginfo to all of our users by dropping it in their login script.
All is working fine except for the error message I am getting on Windows 98 machines;
bginfo.exe expects a newer version of windows

Whereas from what I can tell bginfo supports win 95 onwards.

I am running version 4.13

any ideas please?
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 3:30am
Hello, dwebster.

Telling from this thread, Doesn't work on Windows 9x/ME, and from the threads which it references, I am afraid that the latest version of BGInfo has been compiled and linked using Visual Studio 2008 (as have been Autoruns and Process Explorer e.g.). This very very likely means: Game over for users of Win9x/WinME/WinNT.

The section "Works On" on the BGinfo webpage may need to be corrected accordingly.

Regards,
Karl
dwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:00am
thanks Karl,

I promise I did search the forums, but didn't come up with this one.

So I have tried to follow those discussions to try and work out which version of bginfo will work with 98 etc but got a bit lost...
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:18am
Hello, dwebster.

The threads which I pointed you to do not mention BGInfo, because they were about Process Explorer or Autoruns. Yet, these two programmes stopped working on Win9x/WinME/WinNT, when the developers switched to using Visual Studio 2008. Therefore I am pretty sure BGInfo v4.13 has been developed using VS2008, too, and will therefore no longer run on any platform older than Win2KSP4.

To be honest I cannot tell you if the previous version, BGInfo v4.12, worked on Win9x/ME/NT. As there were no complaints saying it did not work one may conclude that BGInfo v4.12 was the last version which supported Win9x/ME/NT.

Karl
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:31am
Quote Therefore I am pretty sure BGInfo v4.13 has been developed using VS2008
Yes, this appears to be the case (bginfo.exe v4.13.0.0 w/ linker version 9.0 and OS/Subsystem version 5.0).
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
pentacle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 4:15pm
You can use bginfo 2.0 that is compatible with windows 98

zebulon
bobtrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobtrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 3:32pm
Pentacle.... this post is from 2008, I hope they would have worked around the issue by now =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic