Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BGInfo Wallpaper folder quirkiness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BGInfo Wallpaper folder quirkiness
    Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:45pm
I am experiencing a problem/issue with bginfo locating the wallpaper image.  Per our AD/GPO admin, the company  workstations use a Desktop wallpaper that is located in C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds.  However, bginfo is unable to navigate to that subfolder, even though it's accessible to All Users.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1) Open BGInfo
2) Click Background button
3) Select Use these settings and Wallpaper position as stretch
4) Click the ... button for Wallpaper Bitmap.  When you navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\oobe, the only two items that are visible is the en-US folder and the background.bmp file.

If I use Windows Explorer, I am able to see the info folder, and cd into it (see attached image).  Finally, the ultimate in quirkiness.  If I manually copy the company wallpaper into the C:\Windows\System32\oobe folder, the file will not be displayed when browsing for it via bginfo.  The only two items that bginfo will display in the oobe folder are en-US and background.bmp.  It will not display any sub-folders, or custom image files that I put into the oobe folder.

I must be missing something.  what gives? Confused

rdege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:49pm
uploads/52834/Desktop.zip

Here are the images.
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 6:42am
Looks like you are using the wrong location. You should be using Windows 7 (C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper) or Windows 10 (C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows).
rdege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:12pm
You are correct, Windows does have a designated location for wallpapers.  However, that shouldn't stop you from using storing a wallpaper image in a different location, such as your Pictures folder, or a folder on a data drive.

Be that as it may, I'm more curious why BGInfo does not allow you to select an image that exists below C:\Windows\System32\oobe.  If I use Firefox to attach an image to an email in gmail, I'm able to navigate to the info folder without issue.  So not all applications have this problem.  Is this a bug or a feature?  If it's a bug, I'm glad I was able to find it.  If it's a feature, I'm genuinely curious why it was setup that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic