Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > RootkitRevealer Usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blocking antivirus programs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JosephWebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocking antivirus programs
    Posted: 04 May 2017 at 5:28pm
A few days ago my McAfee antivirus stopped working and when I redownloaded it it was prevented from running with a message "An administrator has blocked you from running this app".
Attempts to use other antivirus programs produce the same message, and if I switch off UAC the message does not appear but the program does nothing.
Research suggested that this was being caused by the Blocking Antivirus Rules rootkit. There may be other possibilities but in any case rootkit removers/revealers would not run.
Can anybody suggest any solutions?
I am not aware of any other problems, but being unaware is the point of rootkits.
It is a Windows 10 laptop.
Many thanks. 
JRW
JaremySoulmate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaremySoulmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:12am
You could try restarting your PC in "Safe mode with networking" and see if you can do any malware removal actions? Additionally, you could try running RKill to kill a majority of malicious processes (Not certain it works on rootkits). 
Let me know if it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic