Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dcomlaunch service, high cpu, and \REGISTRY\A\

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dcomlaunch service, high cpu, and \REGISTRY\A\
    Posted: 03 October 2017 at 9:20pm

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why the dcomlaunch service is using so much cpu after boot in windows 10.  Mostly in process monitor there are registry events that start with the path "\REGISTRY\A\".  I think this is called an application hive (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/filtering-registry-operations-on-application-hives)?  How do I figure out which hive file it is?  An svchost stays at 25% cpu in task manager for several minutes after boot (the max for a thread).

Edited by js2010 - 09 October 2017 at 3:32pm
js2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 3:29pm
I figured it out.  I just have to look for "regloadkey" operations, and the details will have the name of the registry hive.  Loading "private registries" using "regloadappkey()", that appear as "\registry\a" in process monitor, is VERY common in Windows 10.  And if the hive is in use, you can't load it in regedit, for example c:\windows\system32\config\BBI.  You could copy the hive when the os is offline though, and load it in regedit later.  Or figure out how to use regloadappkey() in c sharp.  I haven't seen anyone do it in powershell.

Edited by js2010 - 09 October 2017 at 3:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic