Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Monitor Background Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Monitor Background Problem
    Posted: 18 January 2016 at 4:15pm

I have a 2 monitor setup with W10 set to "Extended desktop" mode. The primary monitor, Monitor 1, is on the left.

I use a single 3200 x 1200 "Waveform" image from the Exoteric Roach collection of Dual Desktop images that extends across both monitors.

I want BgInfo to appear centered only on Monitor 2 and I can make that happen. The problem is, when I set up BgInfo, regardless which monitor I set it up on, BgInfo always captures ONLY the left half (from the primary monitor #1) of my background image and then saves only the left half as my new background. And no matter what I do from that point only the left half of the background image is displayed on both monitors.

BgInfo's configuration menu supports positioning of BgInfo in an "Extended desktop" multi-monitor setup, but does not seem to respect an extended background.

And sadly, once the background is changed by BgInfo, it remains changed even if BgInfo is removed from the startup.

I have not tried the command line options /taskbar or /popup because I don't understand exactly what they might do to my background, and because I want the BgInfo displayed full time on Monitor 2.

While technically a minor annoyance no one notices but me unless I point it out, I would like BgInfo to recognize a multi-monitor setup and respect (not alter) the user's choice of backgrounds.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill (AFE7Ret)
9-11-01 Never Forget! Freedom Is Not Free!
MS-MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2007-2018
Dicko_md View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dicko_md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 3:35pm
Hi

We too have issues with Windows 10. It all worked fine on dual screens on Windows 7 but when we connect 2 monitors on Windows 10, it shifts the image saved to the left.

We have tried tile, stretch and center but none work. If we remove the 2nd monitor and refresh BGInfo the background is OK.

We are using 4.21

Thanks in advance

Martyn
Bill_Bright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 4:25pm
Thanks for adding your 2 cents here Martyn. It is good to know I am not the only one with this problem.

And yes, V4.21 here as well.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Dicko_md View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dicko_md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 8:25am
Hi Bill

No you are not on your own. We have just rolled it out a couple of months ago to all our computers (desktops, laptops and engineer toughbooks in the field) and we had it working great on Windows 7

Then this week we tried all our software on Windows 10 and the only two things that didnt work was disk encryption so we will use bitlocker and this. Which is suprising as its a Microsoft Product.

Hope the do update this product ASAP as its become a big help in the short time we had it. especially for the users current IP address.

Thanks

Martyn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 2:47pm
Quote Which is suprising as its a Microsoft Product.
Well, not really - at least not initially. It was a Sysinternals product that was pulled into the Microsoft fold when they hired up Mark R. But still - since there was a recent upgrade, and surely many there must use multiple monitors, it would have been nice if this issue was worked out because it is really a nice program otherwise.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
DusanM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DusanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 5:21am
Hello all,
I can confirm this problem too with version 4.22 on Windows 10.
I use extended background (3840x1200) and BGInfo just takes left half of image and clone it to both displays.
I am curious if somebody will take care of that...
markgre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 10:19am
Hi All,

Has there been any news on this and getting it working with dual screens.

We are wanting to roll this out across our new W10 estate, but have real issues where users have dual screens.

We are happy to have all screens showing the same image, but we cannot find a way to get the system to ignore multiple displays and just create a single image.

Do we know if there will be a fix any time soon? This used to work perfectly on W7
lza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 12:30pm
Hello

I just wanted to add one more comment on this topic, maybe it helps...
We also "suffer" from this problem.

EricSA39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSA39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2018 at 2:13pm
Hello,
I just wanted to add that the latest version of BGinfo (v4.25) fixes the multi monitor issues.
Thanks.
--
Eric

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2018 at 3:42pm
No it doesn't. The problem with the background image is the same as I described in my opening post. In fact the problem is worse as I cannot even get BGInfo to display on the secondary monitor at all.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic