Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Error communicating with PsExec service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killefer762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error communicating with PsExec service
    Posted: 26 August 2005 at 9:03pm
When I try to execute a psexec command, this is what is returned:

Error communicating with PsExec service.
The pipe has ended. (other times is will say "the operation completed successfully)

I am using psexec v1.60 issuing this command:

psexec \\computer ipconfig

Other commands work list pslist..etc.

gtneill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtneill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2005 at 9:41am

I'm running into similar errors and wonder if this is related to the MS AntiSpyware software running on the remote machine?

I did see that this was a problem for PsKill, but haven't had a chance to see if this was causing my issues with PsExec yet.

killefer762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killefer762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 1:36pm
MS AntiSpyware isn't running on my machines so thats not an issue for me.
Harlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 12:12am

With v1.31,1.56,1.59 and 1.63 I get:

Error establishing communication with PsExec service on machinename:
and
All pipe instances are busy,
or
The system cannot find the file specified,
or
The operation completed successfully.
or
The pipe has been ended.

Now I find that Network Associates Viruscan Enterprise v7.0 is flaging psexecsvc as a virus and has made thousands of copies either in the QUARANTINE folder or in the system32 folder as psexecsvc.exe.vir. Because psexec is a console app, there was no visual indication of such.

With Viruscan 4.5.x on Win2k/XP machines, psexec is NOT flagged as a virus, psexec DOES install psexecsvc in reomote system32 and DOES start it running but the local psexec still gives the error message(s) and does not stop and remove the service on the remote when finished.

Edited by Harlan
Harlan
Harlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 9:58pm

Today, psexec started working again. Then it dawned on me, I updated ZoneAlarm to v61.737.000. I proved it again at home. Even if you do not start ZoneAlarm v55.094.000 at start-up, the vsmon.exe process will still prevent psexec from communicating with psexesvc.

NAI virusscan's latest dats seem to be happy with psexesvc now too!

Edited by Harlan
Harlan
zsandman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2006 at 3:45pm
Delete all keys in registry with name like "PsExec" and reboot. This fixed the error for me.
cool king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 4:43am
I am bothering with this error.Who can help me?
I like computer and technology.
ejepsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejepsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 2:55am

I've just been battling the same issue.

What seemed to be the problem was the presence of a windows-service by the name of "psexesvc" (displayed as psexec in Windows' services list.)

I connected to the target-machine and removed the service with <sc delete psexesvc>. I also deleted all occurances of psexesvc.exe which in my case were present in different locations and of different sizes.

After this operation it worked again!

Http://WWW.WICKEDPIXEL.NET
LTSYSG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTSYSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:10am

I make heavy use of PSEXEC and see this happen from time to time.

I wrote a script to fix the problem.

It looks for process  PSEXESVC  on the remote computer.  If found PSKILLS it.

Sleeps a second

Then deletes the service on the remote computer via use of SC.EXE

e.g.   sc  ">\\<remote computer> delete psexesvc

PSEXEC will then work

Regards,

galadriann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galadriann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2006 at 7:59am
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

I did as suggested, stopped psexesvc process then sc /delete.
a ps query shows that the process is not there anymore but when I launch psexec, I receive same message and psexesvc is there again ...

any suggestions ?

Tks and regards
open your mind and trust your heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic