Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help with Ntoskrnl thread causing high CPU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with Ntoskrnl thread causing high CPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 88>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
A10K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A10K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with Ntoskrnl thread causing high CPU
    Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:39pm
Hello, I am posting here for help with a CPU problem. The past few days, "System" process has been eating up 20-60% CPU so I have been looking for a solution. I found a topic on this forum that is very similar to my problem:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/windows-7-ntoskrnlexe-spiking-problem_topic28929_page2.html

Using Process Explorer, it seems the problem is 
" toskrnl.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLock+0x1e0 "

I'm very new to using this program and any software used on this forum to solve problems... if you can help me solve this problem, it would be very appreciated.

Edited by A10K - 17 April 2013 at 11:43pm
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 5:23am
Install the WPT , open a CMD prompt with admin rights and type this (Stop ProcessExplorer first!):

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 -MaxFile 1024 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d C:\highCPUUsage.etl

after you captured a minimum of 30s of the cpu usage, go back to CMD prompt and press a key to stop the logging. Now compress the highCPUUsage.etl as 7z (LZMA2, ULTRA) to reduce the file size. Upload the zip/RAR file to your OneDrive or Dropbox and post a link here or send me the link via PM.

Edited by MagicAndre1981 - 22 November 2015 at 6:51am
A10K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A10K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 5:38am
I am using Windows 7. It seems that WPT is only for 8. Will it still work?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 3:24pm
WPT also works for Windows 7.
A10K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A10K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 11:17pm
Where is the etl log file saved? It all worked fine, but dont know where it is.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 5:49am
in the path where you run the xperf command. Check under Windows\system32
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 3:38pm
the kernel is fine. The driver for your Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) (L1c62x64.sys) causes the issues:

Your driver version is 1.0.1.42.

Try version 2.1.0.15 from here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm

and look if this fixes it.

A10K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A10K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:11pm
It worked! Thanks so much for this.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 6:33am
Originally posted by A10K A10K wrote:

It worked! Thanks so much for this.

You're welcome :)
CDReckless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDReckless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 6:45pm
I'm sorry to revive a dead thread (and then hijack it at that), but i thought I might want to as i'm dealing with somewhat of the same issue that this thread has.

Every minute on the minute, my CPU will spike for about 1-2 seconds as something runs in the background.  I've been able to determine that it' something on my NT Kernel and System file via the Task Manager.

Reading through the web, this issue appears to be a singular issues but with many different possibilities (wrong drivers, bad hardware, etc).

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find out what it is exactly, but having little success.
i've uploaded and run both Windows Process Explorer and Windows Performance toolkit.  And though, i see the error in both, I'm not proficient enough to actually find out what is causing the issue.

Could anyone (maybe MagicAndre1981 since he fixed the last one) be able to assist in helping me deduce what is causing my problem?  It's driving me nuts.

i've already uploaded my ETI file to my Skydrive to help this out (IF it helps it out).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 88>
  Share Topic