Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help with Ntoskrnl thread causing high CPU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with Ntoskrnl thread causing high CPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dahive31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dahive31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:06pm
thanks for the suggestion, but there is no idle (or any) maintenance task in the task scheduler.

Hesoyam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hesoyam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:57pm
Hi, ntoskrnl.exe!ExQueueWorkItem+0x400 (TID 1964)  eats up 10-20% CPU after a few minutes idle, if any key is pressed or the mouse moved, this stops immediately. I have this PC for over a year right now, but problem appeared few months ago. Complete reinstall of windows didn't help

Edited by Hesoyam - 10 November 2017 at 4:58am
Hesoyam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hesoyam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:51am
What should i do to record xperf log on Windows 10? And can i actually do it considering that the problem appears only while idle? Please help
Hesoyam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hesoyam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:09am
Ok so, i found out using taskschedulerview that everytime this cpu usage happen there are several processes every time the same:

Edited by Hesoyam - 10 November 2017 at 5:25am
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:44pm
disable the FUllMemoryDiagnostic task, this causes the CPU usage.
Hesoyam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hesoyam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by MagicAndre1981 MagicAndre1981 wrote:

disable the FUllMemoryDiagnostic task, this causes the CPU usage.
Thank you again! Disabled this thing and cpu usage is now normal while idle
jaybee92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybee92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 42 minutes ago at 7:00am
Hey there,

CPU usage by "SYSTEM" stays between 15-25% with occasional spikes of 60% or more. According to the process manager, "System Idle Process" has a CPU utilization of ~85.

I installed WPT and ran the xperf trace(88s). @MagicAndre1981, could you please take a look and help me identify the issue here? This has been driving me nuts for a month now Wacko. Already sent you a PM Smile.
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 20 minutes ago at 12:22pm
you also have ACPI.sys issue and it also looks like you used a caddy to your Asus X550JX to use a SSD near to your HDD. also change the jumper in the caddy to fix the cpu usage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
  Share Topic