Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not Working Correctly on Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhunRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Working Correctly on Windows 10
    Posted: 04 March 2017 at 3:58pm
This is my Problem:

I run BGinfo, select the .bmp file I want to use as the background, select the Wallpaper Position as Stretch and then select "Preview", it looks perfect:

I then click on "Apply" (it still looks correct) and then on "OK". This is what I see:

The desktop background has a complete image of what I want to see at the top left of the screen - it occupies an area of precisely 1280 x 720.  The rest of the screen contains parts of the image as if it has been tiled.

The actual screen on my laptop is set to 1920 x 1080. This is precisely 50% more in each direction than the 1280 x 720 image in the top left of my screen. Looking at it another way, the desktop background produced by Bginfo has been reduced by a third in both dimensions and then tiled.

In Windows 10, in the "Customize your display" settings, in "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" I have set it to 150%. This is because my 1920x1080 screen is only 13" (diagonal) and the text is extremely small.

I think the problem is related to this 150% setting, but would like a second opinion and, hopefully, a resolution other than setting the display back to 100%.

I believe that whatever file Bginfo is producing as a desktop background is being altered by Windows probably because of that 150% Windows setting.

Note: the .bmp file that I selected in Bginfo and used for these screenshots is 2880 x 1533 dimensions. This is 50% more than the resolution of my screen (as shown in the Windows settings).  I tried this extra large image after I noticed the problem of the desktop background being reduced by a third when I first tried using an image of 1920 x 1080. Obviously, the extra large wallpaper bitmap didn't fix the problem.

So irrespective of whether I select a 2880 x 1533 image or 1920 x 1080, the effect is the same, i.e. after appearing OK in the Preview, the actual desktop background containing the Bginfo text is reduced by a third and tiled.

Regards,

Roger

WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:07am
This has been a problem for a very long time. There is no fix and the software has not been updated in years. We have asked Mark to update it, we have begged Mark to update it, someone from the forum was able to even speak with him by phone and ask for an update, but we have never seen it. Plus there are pages and pages of updates, add-ons, requests, feature requests and bug fixes, requested over 6 years. -WS
KhunRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhunRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by WindowsStar WindowsStar wrote:

This has been a problem for a very long time. There is no fix and the software has not been updated in years. We have asked Mark to update it, we have begged Mark to update it, someone from the forum was able to even speak with him by phone and ask for an update, but we have never seen it. Plus there are pages and pages of updates, add-ons, requests, feature requests and bug fixes, requested over 6 years. -WS

And yet there is a new version dated "Published: February 17, 2017"  Confused

Ah well, never mind. I'm sure Mark is a very busy guy. Smile  I've actually watched his videos where he talks with Bryce Cogswell about NTinternals, SysInternals, etc - interesting stuff. I still cannot believe that people run their PCs without Process Explorer running in the System Tray! It's like driving a car without a temperature gauge, oil pressure light and speedometer.

I was, of course, hoping this was a new problem that could be readily fixed. I've used BGinfo only on XP systems before, where it works flawlessly. So it looks like whatever BGinfo outputs as a desktop background gets modified by the oh-so-helpful Windows 10 to take into account the 150% customized text size and reduces it by a third. I'll still keep playing with it to see if I can make it work.

I've come across a similar problem with an old DOS program that I still use called "cmdow.exe". It allows windows to be resized, moved, hidden, maximized, minimized, made on top, not on top, etc. Some anti-virus software report it as malware. But I found that in Windows 10, when I specify the size of a window in pixels, I have to reduce the numbers by 1/3 to allow for the 150% customized text size. Windows then increases the sizes by 50% and the window goes where I want it to go.

If only it was so simple a fix in BGinfo. Cry 

Bill_Bright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill_Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by KhunRoger KhunRoger wrote:

And yet there is a new version dated "Published: February 17, 2017"

But not really. As I reported here:  https://forum.sysinternals.com/new-bginfo-not_topic32651.html it is not a new version at all. Same 4.21 version number and same file sizes and date-time stamps of the files. 

Either they didn't update the program, or they forgot to post the updated program to the download page. 

I reported problems with dual-monitor setups over a year ago here: https://forum.sysinternals.com/dual-monitor-background-problem_topic31914_post148076.html?

As for the version issue and problems with W10 compatibility, as noted above, several of us have reported, pleaded, begged they be addressed since W10 came out in 2015. But there has not even been any acknowledgement any one even heard us. And personally, I think that is sad considering this is the official support site for this program. 

Bill (AFE7Ret)
9-11-01 Never Forget! Freedom Is Not Free!
MS-MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2007-2017
KhunRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhunRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Bill_Bright Bill_Bright wrote:

And yet there is a new version dated "Published: February 17, 2017"

Either they didn't update the program, or they forgot to post the updated program to the download page. 

Surely not!   

Just for the fun (?) of it, I tried all the versions that I have stored on my PC - 4.07 (2004), 4.12 (2007), 4.20 (2013) and 4.21 (2015). Not surprisingly, they all failed.

Perhaps if we keep posting to this thread it may get the attention of Mark.  (I wonder if he's on Twitter? Smile )

-------------

Edit: Hmm, he is! : https://twitter.com/markrussinovich?lang=en

Edited by KhunRoger - 07 March 2017 at 4:26pm
cantoris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:54pm
PLEASE fix this problem - it's affecting our Windows 7 laptops...
KhunRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhunRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:29pm

[QUOTE=WindowsStar] <snip>

So it looks like whatever BGinfo outputs as a desktop background gets modified by the oh-so-helpful Windows 10 to take into account the 150% customized text size and reduces it by a third. I'll still keep playing with it to see if I can make it work.

I've come across a similar problem with an old DOS program that I still use called "cmdow.exe". It allows windows to be resized, moved, hidden, maximized, minimized, made on top, not on top, etc. Some anti-virus software report it as malware. But I found that in Windows 10, when I specify the size of a window in pixels, I have to reduce the numbers by 1/3 to allow for the 150% customized text size. Windows then increases the sizes by 50% and the window goes where I want it to go.

If only it was so simple a fix in BGinfo. Cry 

I've found a work-around. Thumbs Up

The clue was in the "Display Settings": whenever the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" was anything other than 100%, the other program I use a lot - "cmdow.exe", mentioned in my other post quoted above - also didn't work correctly.

So the fix is to reset your text size to 100%, run BGinfo, and then set the text size back again to what you want.

This works manually, but I want it to work every time I start the PC so that I get new BGinfo data on the screen.

So I need a way to change the text size from within a command file. It's either that or run an AutoHotKey macro to do what I just did manually, i.e. by simulating mouse movements and button clicks.

Edit:

Can't find a solution using registry or other command line commands, so wrote a macro. It's a bit of a kluge but does the job. I'll try to get rid of some of the delays (sleep commands) if I can and add more checks later. For now, here it is:

;SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability. Can't use with SetKeyDelay
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
SetTitleMatchMode, 3          ; Must match exactly
CoordMode, Mouse , Client ; All mouse movements are relative to whole screen
SetMouseDelay, 30              ; ms to recognise each mouse click
SetKeyDelay, 100                 ; ms Delay between sending each key

DetectHiddenWindows, On

; Move mouse to blank part of desktop. NO ICONS MUST BE HERE!
        MouseMove , 540, 740
        sleep , 1000

Click Right 540 , 740    ; Show Menu
        sleep , 1000

Send , D                          ; Display settings
        WinWait , Settings , , 10  ; Wait for Settings window
        Sleep , 2000

; Put mouse on the 175% mark and drag it to 100% mark. These numbers are critical.
        MouseClickDrag , left , 1081 , 667, 608 , 670
        Sleep , 1000
        WinClose , Settings        ; Close Settings window
        Sleep , 1000

; Now settings have changed to 100%
; Run BGinfo. Tell it to use my BGinfo file for the Windows 10 Ultrabook
        run , "c:\Program Files\SysInternals\bginfo.exe" c:\s\bginfo_Roger_Ultrabook_W10.bgi /timer:0
        WinWaitClose , BGinfo - bginfo_Roger_Ultrabook_W10.bgi  ; Wait for BGinfo to close
        Sleep , 1000

; Move mouse again to blank part of desktop. NO ICONS MUST BE HERE!
        MouseMove , 540, 740

Click Right 540 , 740       ; Context Menu
        Sleep , 1000
        Send , D                          ; Select Display settings
        WinWait , Settings , , 10  ; Wait for the window
        Sleep , 2000

; Move the mouse to the 100% position and drag it to the 175% position
        MouseClickDrag , left , 607 , 1162, 1020 , 1162
        Sleep , 1000
        WinClose , Settings  ; Close the Settings window
        Sleep , 1000

DetectHiddenWindows, Off