Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Process Explorer Windows 7 Set Priority

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Process Explorer Windows 7 Set Priority
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:30am

This is very frustrating. I'm running Windows 7 and  Avira in the background. Now I want to set priority to idle with Process Explorer but I get the error message "Unable to set process priority".
I'm running from a shortcut to Process explorer. The shortcut is set to run as Administrator. So even as Administrator I can't set the priority.
The reason I want to set priority is that it is lagging when I watch youtube or listen to music. So it is very annoying. Even other work is lagging.

Grateful for any help you can give me.

Cheers
Andla

Edited by andla - 06 May 2010 at 1:32am
BeakerOfSolace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeakerOfSolace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:48am
what process do you want to set to idle priority?

some processes protect themselves; other processes are protected processes (DRM) and Windows won't let you set their priority
andla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:51am
I want to set the Avira scanner to Idle to stop it from lagging the whole system
In earlier versions of Process Explorer or Windows I had no problem changing any process but now that doesn't work any more. Confused
Sometimes I wish there where an application to slow down processes to make
them work more steadily with the system. Do you know of such application?
That would be awesome to have Smile

Edited by andla - 06 May 2010 at 10:58am
BeakerOfSolace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeakerOfSolace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:17am
av software often prevents other programs from "tampering" with them

are you saying you can do the same thing to the same process with a different version of process explorer?

i dont thing what you are running into is something with process explorer - its the av software trying to prevent other software such as malware from messing with them

check the av software settings and see if you are able to adjust the aggressiveness of the scan or make some choice between system responsiveness and scan speed - some av software has this feature

if your av software is too hoggish for you try another one
andla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:54pm
Ok. Thanks for the comment.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic