Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

procexp.exe search & admin problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proc_newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: procexp.exe search & admin problems
    Posted: 11 August 2017 at 6:32am
Hey all,

Very new to the tool and windows period. I was trying to remove a portable hard drive connected to a USB 3.0 port under the D:\ because I was having trouble ejecting it. When I searched for it i typed in d:\ with nothing showing up. I then typed in D:\ and still nothing. I then read that sometimes running as administer helps find processes that limited users can't find so when I did that I found what I was expecting, musicbee was still using the drive. I was fooling around with the regular and portable version of the program. The portable one is installed on the hard drive itself while the full version runs on my surface pro 4's C:\

I was playing files that were saved on the hard drive and there were two processes from both versions of the music player still using D:\ but when I tried to click on them the whole program crashed! I searched for them again, found the processes and tried to click on them and it crashed again.

Heres where things get weird. On the third round of running as admin and searching for the d drive it could not be found, nothing nadda, not the processes nothing not even explorer. So I just reloaded the program and tried again but still nothing loads in the search bar. I can locate the other drives with ctrl-f but not D:\ so I went into the DLL viewer and then hit ctl-f and I actually found where musicbee was using the device. I tried closing the handle but now its saying I don't have administrative rights even though I'm running it as administrator.

All I want to do is kill all processes using the drive and eject it without worrying about corrupting the drive. Please help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic