Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

psexec and wuauclt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch0nmyc0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: psexec and wuauclt
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:11pm
Not too sure if anyone can help.
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
I'm just trying to remotely run wuauclt so I run:

PSEXEC \\computername c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe /detectnow
I see it running on the machine next to me and return code 0

PSEXEC \\computername c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe /reportnow
return code 0 (and it's immediately updated in the WSUS MMC)

PSEXEC \\computername c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe /updatenow
gets return code -2147024891 and nothing happens.

So I think maybe the parameter maybe changed or doesn't exist so I run it on the computer myself and it immediately begins installing the 1 update pending. I've tried this several times and it just doesn't seem to want to work. I've tried looking around and while this may not be a PSEXEC issue, I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me wth -2147024891 means...
Tecnico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tecnico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:34pm

Try this:

PSEXEC \\computername c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe /detectnow /updatenow

arch0nmyc0n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch0nmyc0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:04pm
Thanks for your response, but unfortunately this still produces the same error code -2147024891 and nothing occurs on the target computer. Running the same command locally runs the detectnow then the updatenow procedures in sequence.
arch0nmyc0n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch0nmyc0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:08pm
My searchfu is lacking. I finally came across information that helped:

Basically this particular command requires explicit logon. I suppose this makes sense as this would force a client level change.

Exerpt of a great explanation of the concept:
psexec \\target some_command uses implicit logon to \\target.
I.e. the user logged in locally will be used to logon to \\target. But logging in implicitly he will loose the network resources on \\target that he would have if he had logged on explicitly.
As -e was not specified his environment will be that of the ".default" user on \\target. Check e.g. the variable %userprofile%.
  • psexec \\target -u user - p passw some_command uses explicit logon to \\target.
    psexec is told to explicitly identify as user "user" on \\target (even if he is the same user "user" logged in locally). So network resources assigned to user "user" on \\target may be available.
    As -e was not specified his environment will be that of the ".default" user on \\target. Check e.g. the variable %userprofile%.

• psexec \\target -u user -p passw -e some_command uses explicit logon to \\target and loads the environment of user "user".
    Same as above plus:
    As -e was specified the environment on \\target will be that of user "user", not the one of user ".default".
  • Written by user Karlchen

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic