Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Autoruns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove "File not Found"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalek37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove "File not Found"
    Posted: 10 April 2018 at 7:24pm
My system is working Ok.
I have found in AutoRuns about 12 instances of File not found.
If I delete those instances will I be able to note a reduction in my bootup time?
What are the potential problems?Disapprove
Halek in Loudon TN
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:44am
You will not notice any difference in start time. Not everything Autoruns lists runs at boot and that is too few to make a difference anyway.

Autoruns is not always right. You could end up with a system which does not boot. 
Chalek37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalek37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:11am
Thanks for your reply. I'll leave well enough alone!Smile
Halek in Loudon TN
ken1943 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 12:14pm
I do not remember when, but there was a reason to not remove 'file not found'. Been years since I stopped deleting them.
Ken
Aditza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aditza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 5:42am
most of those "file not found" are actually present but loaded as part of the kernel, they are sub-systems loaded from a single monolithic file that provides multiple services needed by the kernel (i think it's win32k.sys if i remember correctly).

some non-windows related "file not found" entries are safe to disable if they have a path and can be identified as left-over from programs that used to be installed in \program files\

BUT, you should keep them if they DON'T have a path or they point to somewhere in the system area. If you don't know EXACTLY what the "missing" file is for then don't touch it.

If you disable some critical system-related "file not found" entries good luck trying to boot, you will probably need to re-install.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic