Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

services.exe with high cpu utilization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfishBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:20am
In my case, I think it was a bluetooth device/mapping that was constantly trying/retrying to install or load. I figured that out using filemon and regmon, looking at the items that were continually being accessed.  Uninstalled the device and all was good; I was able to reinstall the bluetooth services I actually use.
NelsonG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelsonG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 11:17pm
Reading this thread allowed me to debug this on my Windows XP laptop.  Wanted to post what worked for me in case this could help someone else.

My CPU usage was cycling from 0% to 13% on services.exe.  Reboot did not help.  I had wireless turned off since I was using wired connection.  As soon as I turned on wireless, services.exe went to 0% and stayed there.  I turned wireless back off and it still stayed at 0%.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 11:21pm
Interesting, NelsonG.  Seems like there may be some other thing causing services.exe to consume CPU... Out of curiosity - how many CPUs / cores do you have?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
NelsonG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelsonG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 10:14pm
Sorry for the delay - missed the notification msg first time around.

The PC in question is a Toshiba M9 with just one dual core.  Nothing too special about it except that it is managed by IT at my workplace so I'm never sure what is in the updates they push to it.

I saw the behavior again a few days later and again, turning the wireless on fixed it.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:36am
When the behavior presents itself, are there any noteworthy events in the event logs?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
NelsonG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelsonG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 3:53am
> When the behavior presents itself, are there any noteworthy events in the event logs?

I did not check the logs either time this happened.
Chulup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chulup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 9:33pm
OK, it's my turn.
I have Windows XP SP3 running on Acer 3692G. Exactly as starter of this topic I have services.exe running with PlugPlay and EventLog services eating all of my processor's ticks from time to time. Process Explorer shows CPU usage history about 85-90% of red under-line (don't know how it is named in English, sorry) - it is IO wait, isn't it?
More, it  shows 1.5M of memory utilization and less than megabyte of data read and written.
Process Monitor shows in one minute of high load 38K of register accesses but it's normal for this process as I am seeing while writing this post.
I have not messages in event log this time.
Version of services.exe 5.01.2600.5512. Process Explorer's "Verify" option finished successfully.
This strange behavior is not very annoying becouse it happens once or twice a day for time up to minute, but solution may be helpful.
calonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 3:16pm
I found this thread, which seems related to my problem.

I recently bought a webcam to install on my office PC.  When I connected the camera, CPU usage went up to 100% and the machine slowed to a crawl. If you disconnect the camera and reboot,  the machine still runs at 100%.  The only way to return it to normal is to disconnect the camera and restore the machine  to a previous point.  Same behavior happens when I connect anything else to a USB port.  It also happens if I restore, reboot in Safe Mode, and then install the camera.  Things I have done so far:

1. Took the camera to another machine and it installed just fine.  Brought a different camera to my machine and again I had the CPU usage problem.

2. Scanned for viruses, malware, spyware, etc., with negative results.

3. "Process Explorer" identified the hog as "Services.exe".  The services tab says that the two processes running under services.exe are Event Log and Plug and Play.  Using msconfig and trial and error, I isolated the offending service to be Plug and Play.  Rebooted with Plug and Play service turned off and that resolved completely the CPU usage issue; but now the machine does not "see" the camera when you plug it in (which makes sense, of course, since PnP is turned off).

4. Did a fresh installation of my Windows XP Pro in another drive *of the same computer,* plugged the camera, and it worked like a charm.  Hence, the problem is not machine related, I think.

5. Per one of the messages in this thread, I disabled the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service" and rebooted, but there was no change.

6.  I renamed the
umpnpmgr.dll and had it recreated on booting.  Still no change.

Everything above would seem to indicate that a fresh installation of Windows on my C: drive would resolve the problem.  But, frankly, I would rather not have to reinstall all software unless it were absolutely necessary.  Another part of me thinks that if this is a software-related issue, reinstalling the offending software in a fresh installation will duplicate the problem in the fresh installation anyway--and that would be quite a bummer.

Any ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic