Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High CPU - Hardware Interrupts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High CPU - Hardware Interrupts
    Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:45am
Hi all,

Just found this site on Google searching for the problem, was having problems with high cpu, trying to find the answer I came accross this Sysinternal program, which shows Hardware Interrupts using a stupid amount of cpu, bouncing usually between 55-70 %.

Searching this site there seemed to be alot of people with hardware interrupts problem, however i could not find one that solved mine :(. I've gone on the device manager and made sure all IDE things are DMA, which they are. Im not great with computers so I have no idea what to do :S

The problem aroused when I put a new graphics card in my pc (ati radeon hd 2600 pro). I uninstalled the driver put the new graphics card in and installed the correct driver for it, did i miss something or is there anything i should have done ?? Incase it helps the pc has - aMD athlon 64 processor 3800+ , 1gig ram, windows xp sp2 and the recently installed graphics card is ati radeon hd 2600 pro.

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:06am
Hi Steve,

If you restore the original graphics card, does the problem go away?

Per the Process Explorer help file:
Quote High CPU consumption by these activities [interrupts and DPCs] can indicate a hardware problem or device driver bug.
So it would seem that either card may be faulty, or it may be worth upgrading / downgrading the card's drivers.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
gpippas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpippas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 8:53am
I'm having the same problem exactly. I just installed a 3870 and it is causing core 2 to sit at 100% with hardware interupts. Any help that anyone can offer will help both of us.

Steve its not your fault. We havn't done anything wrong its just bad luck. Its got nothing to do with the drivers its purely hardware. If I find anything out I will let you know.
gpippas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpippas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 10:00am
I've done it. It was an issue with the sound. In the device manager there is a device in System devices called Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. I disabled it and bam the interupt is gone.  
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 10:08am
Hi gpippas,

Quote Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Interesting... That's not the first time this has shown up...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
steve_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 10:42am
thanks for replying guys

I've done it. It was an issue with the sound. In the device manager there is a device in System devices called Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. I disabled it and bam the interupt is gone. 

You sir, are a genius! that solved my problem instantaneously!

thanks again everyone! Smile
PatrickDickey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickDickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2008 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by gpippas gpippas wrote:

Does anyone know if this (or a similar driver) is causing issues in Windows Vista?  I just installed the Diamond HD 2400 Pro (ATI 2400) and am having the high hardware interrupt issues. 

Thanks in advance for any help.  I did find one High Definition Audio driver in the System Devices, but it wasn't a UAA one.  It's on Bus 1, slot 0 function 1, where my graphics card is on Bus 1, slot 0, function 0.

Patrick.
Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 5:29pm
Hi Patrick,

Not sure... Haven't heard anything WRT Vista.  You might try disabling it, to see if it helps...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
PatrickDickey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickDickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 8:16pm
I disabled it shortly after posting this. My interrupts went from an average of 90% to 2%. The device in question is the "High Definition Audio Controller" in the System Devices (Windows Vista Ultimate). It's location is PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1, where my HD 2400 Pro was in PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0.

Have a great day:-)
Patrick.
Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
dhurka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhurka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:41am
Folks,

I have the same problem with high CPU util for h/w interrupts - Although in my case it just happens once or twice a day. I disabled the MSFT UAA HD Audio device and the results are looking promising. If I don't get a hang in about 48 hours, I know that the fix worked.

Q: Disabling the device disables my SoundMax integrated audio device as well. I don't have sound any more. I tried to install the SM drivers, but the MSFT UAA device driver is a requirement! Are there any workarounds available?

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this thread!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic