Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > RootkitRevealer Usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revealer found two items

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haroldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revealer found two items
    Posted: 03 October 2005 at 7:03am

I tried RootkitRevealer

This is the result

• HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed 10/2/2005 7:22 AM 80 bytes Data mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.
  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate \Reporting\EventCache\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d&a mp;a mp;n bsp;9/22/2005 8:44 PM 0 bytes Hidden from Windows API.
  • C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tmp.edb  10/2/2005 7:22 AM 64.00 KB Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.

Any clues as to what I should do now.

Edited by haroldo
Calendar of Updates
Stay on top of your security updates!
namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2005 at 3:51pm
\RNG\Seed is normal. It's a value related to encryption that's sometimes updated during the scan.

The other two look like Windows Automatic Update did something in the  background mid-scan. Just try running RKR again.
haroldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haroldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 1:30pm

Thanks!

So I guess I should run this when the machine is not being used, right

Calendar of Updates
Stay on top of your security updates!
namrehto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namrehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 1:51pm
Yes, you should not be using your machine when running RKR, in order to avoid false positives. The \RNG\Seed report could occur off and on, though. It appears to be harmless. As for the Windows Update items, you were probably just unlucky with the timing as/if/when the WU process did one of its regular background checks for updates.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic