Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

junction to network share

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: junction to network share
    Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:56pm

Is there a reason that an NTFS junction (reparse point) cannot target a network share?

Does anyone know of a way to do this

C\Program Files\App\data ==> \\server\share

I'm going round in circles chasing this thing, if anyone can put me out of my misery I would be most grateful.

John

Astara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 12:33pm
I wish! Had the same desire -- wanted to mount a
network "drive" in a local directory.

How can one mount remote directories locally so the file systems will look the same whether you are on a server or a client machine? I have directories like "/Share, /Music, /Pictures, /Home" on my server, but end up using "S:, M:, P:, or H: (or /s, /m, /p, or /h under cygwin).

Seem like a very basic type of "mount" that just quite isn't supported by the junction | hardlink, and NT has no softlink...:-(.

A*a
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2006 at 6:14am
Hi, JohnL and Astara.

please read the Junction Webpage.

Sysinternals state:
Quote Note that Windows does not support junctions to directories on remote shares.

This confirms your assumption, Astara, is right: It cannot be done.

Kind regards,
Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 09 August 2006 at 3:59pm
Astara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2006 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Karlchen Karlchen wrote:

Hi, JohnL and Astara.

please read Junction.

Uh...:-)

I'm sorry, but I don't get what you are referring to. 

AFAIK, I thought junction didn't support mounting remote shares (at least that's what I wrote in the response just above yours; :-)). 

Are you saying there is something on the "junction" page that explains how to mount a remote file system, 'cause I don't see it. (Note, I have been accused of wearing blinders at times, ala "overfocussing" on something, while missing other things).

Thanks,
A*a

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2006 at 4:02pm
Hi, Astara.

Thanks for showing that my wording was ambiguous. I have changed my previous message to be clear.

The message was and still is: Your assumption is right, junctions to network shares are not possible, Sysinternals say so on their Junction webpage. It is not a limit of Sysinternals programme Junction, but of Windows.

Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 09 August 2006 at 4:04pm
bflint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 9:57am

Definitely have the need to junction network shares!  Any plans to do this?

KindHost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KindHost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:29am

Originally posted by bflint bflint wrote:

Definitely have the need to junction network shares!  Any plans to do this?

Word - Here is the love baby

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy38.htm

This allows you to programatically create a shortcut.

Download XXMKLINK:

XXMKLINK is available for personal use without charge.

http://www.xxcopy.com/download/xxmklink.zip

Also check out the bling man. http://dSOUTH.NET

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:58am
XXMKLINK:
Quote This allows you to programatically create a shortcut.

Nice. But a shortcut (*.lnk) is quite different from a junction. - So unrelated to the issue. Sorry.

Karl
johnjneumann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnjneumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 7:46pm

Note: This only works for LOCAL HARD DRIVES (like unix "ln" for hard links)

It will not work for junctioning to networked drives; neither by mapped drive letter nor by UNC full pathing (as unix "mount" does allow).

It also will not junction to a .lnk shortcut - so no working around networked drives that way.

It will allow you to make something like shortcuts for directories, only will not have the ".lnk" at the end of a junction you create.
   junction c:\temp %temp%
The junction directory created will point to the REAL directory, in this case %TEMP% which is
   C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ABSALPHA4100\Local Settings\Temp\2
The only way to know   c:\temp   is a JUNCTION and not a real directory is to do
   dir /a C:\temp

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic