Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Windows Audio Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royeiror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Windows Audio Service
    Posted: 22 August 2006 at 9:33am
Hello:

i've been getting this error from a week or so back and it shuts down Windows Audio Service, and my audio device seems to not exist anymore, so i have to go into services and start windows audio.

The error is:
"Application popup: svchost.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a510."

Does anyone know how i could monitor conflicts and such, so i can pinpoint the problem and solve it?

It's totally random at first sight but i bet that i will coincide with the execution of something else.

Thanks
Boskwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boskwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 12:00pm

I have the same error.

And i don't understand why.

plz HELP

gaana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 6:45am

what do you see in system or application event logs? any software changes done? what is the audio device on machine? Operating system? try updating the sound card drivers...Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 /u audiosrv.dll

you may have a look at this.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

royeiror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royeiror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 3:43pm
Thanks for your reply, this is how it goes:
My system is an Athlon 64 3200+ it's been running perfectly for a year or so, but just recently has this error been occurring, i'm running XP Pro SP2. i patched the uxtheme.dll in order to use styles and whatnot, even while doing that the system was stable for 4 months or so.
My audio card is the built in decoder and all, it's realtek, i did try updating the drivers but they were the ones i aready had.
Just typed what you suggested and this message apeared: "LoadLibrary("audiosrv.dll") Failed - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

This is under the application log
EVENTID: 1001
User profile hive cleanup service version 1.6.30.0 started successfully.

EVENTID: 1001
Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were removed successfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and Last Help registry entries.

EVENTID: 1000
Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

There's nothing under Security log

And this is what was going on up untill the dreaded message that nullifies my audio under System Log

EVENTID: 6009
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

EVENTID: 6005
The Event log service was started.

EVENTID: 18
Windows cannot store Bluetooth link keys on the local transceiver because it cannot determine whether proper security is enabled for the device.

EVENTID: 4201
The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{62E1D0D6-6DAA-476B-A674-0AC5BEB3D3B0 } was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

EVENTID: 26
Application popup: svchost.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a510.

After those messages there only are messages of starting services like terminal and the cd rom and all those, so this error happened even before windows completely boot, and other times it's completely random, i hope you have a clue of what's going on so i can fix the system without having to format and all that

thanks in advance

gaana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 5:07pm

"LoadLibrary("audiosrv.dll") Failed - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

go to start--run--sfc /scannow    it will ask for a cd of operating system. it shuold help you. If that does not help, go for repair install of windows.

royeiror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royeiror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 4:21pm
Thanks a bunch, i'll give it a try

Update, i tried the command you told me, the thing is it doesn't recognize the installation cd i insert and i have to press retry like 200 times untill the process bar is complete, and still the same problem, and as for a repair, somehow windows will not display the repair option during installation, for some odd reason it doesn't detect my windows installation, go figue.

anyway, any other tips before i'm either forced to live with this annoying thing or backup my stuff and format?

some kind of file access monitor that logs every file accessed with it's time and errors and whatnot, i do hope something like that exists

thanks anyway gaana, i do appreciate your help
plop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 6:52pm
There was a recent update (*not distributed via WU) targeted
at audio related problems.
(KB920872)

Similar error (unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86axxx.) is refrenced on several forums where the culprit turned out to be HP software or XP visual tweaks (see:1 and 2 )
Originally posted by <span>royeiror</span> royeiror wrote:

i patched the uxtheme.dll in order to use
styles and whatnot, even while doing that the system
was stable for 4 months or so

Nevertheless the fact that your CD is not recognised can't be
encouraging sign.
This could happen after several upgrades (at times, even one/none..)
due to system files stored in several places, Dllcache,
ServicePackFiles, $hf_mif$, etc.
Subsequently the integrity of stored backups and WFP
may be affected.

[*Repair option is not available to customized OEM cds, other
than destructive repair when started from win GUI. (not cd boot)]

If you plan to rebuild , consider fresh start of
'slipstreamed' SP (3when available.

Edited by plop - 30 August 2006 at 7:02pm
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/t7ocw3.png">
royeiror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royeiror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 3:26pm
I tried the hotfix and nothing... i used regmon from this site and isolated the minute where the crash happened, can anyone make anithing out of the log?
2006-08-31_152452_Regmon.zip
Timbo00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:13am
I have a similar problem to royeiror.

Recently when I start up Windows (XP SP2) I have no audio icon in the system tray, and my Windows Audio Service isn't running.

I however don't receive an error, though something doesn't seem right. I have Realtek AC'97.

I'm almost convinced that it has something to do with my tweaked XP theme. The problem started as my windows theme randomly jumped back to windows classic theme.

Any ideas as how to fix this problem?
gaana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 12:46pm

SOUNDMAN.EXE:1984

QueryValue HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{6994AD0 4-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0C9223196}\Default NOT FOUND

as seen from regmon log. i guess it belongs to realtek as found from google.

SOUNDMAN.EXE 1876 Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp

also both of you have realtek in common.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic