Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Disk2vhd
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vhd2disk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orkblutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vhd2disk
    Posted: 31 December 2011 at 12:37am
Hello,

this little post to release a tool I played to implement time ago...

What Vhd2disk does?
It's a very basic V2P free tool to simply dump a VHD contents/structure to a physical drive.
It designed to work only with "dynamic" VHD like Disk2vhd's ouput. Vhd2disk was tested succefully on win7 and win2K8: Disk2vhd -> vhd used for virtualisation -> Vhd2disk.

Be caution using this tool since it will overwrite the data on the target drive.
If you play with it, I can't be responsive about any data lost.

Here a little screenshot:

here the x64 binary:
[edit: binaries (32 & 64 bits) are in my second post.]

ps:
I played to reproduce the Disk2vhd's GUI interface and I hope authours will not be angry about that. It's just a wink and should not produce problem since I will not distribute that little tool outside the sysinternals forum. If it's a problem, don't hesitate to remove my attachement and to accept my apologies.

All the best,

Orkblutt

Edited by Orkblutt - 05 January 2012 at 3:04pm
Mark View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 12:48am
Nice!
Orkblutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orkblutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 9:50am
I forgot to post the 32 bits version. I also fixed a little bug. It's now v 0.2.
I don't think it will grow more...

32 bits:
uploads/865/Vhd2disk_32bits.zip

64 bits:
uploads/865/Vhd2disk_64bits.rar

Regards,

Orkblutt

claygoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claygoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 11:36am
I have given Vhd2Disk a go and have been unsuccessful at writing an image back to a physical disk.  The test system is under Windows 7 32.  I created the VHD from the running box to a USB connected hard drive, then took the system down, attached a second hard drive and restarted windows.  After going into Computer Management > Disk Management and taking the drive offline, I started Vhd2Disk, but it could not write the physical disk, indicating it is probably mounted and must be taken offline.

I have done the usual reboot and recheck of all but no luck on two systems.

Orkblutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orkblutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 12:24pm
Hello,

you should try to delete existing partitions on your destination hard drive before to try to write on it.

all the best,

orkblutt
Richard_K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 10:38pm
Hello:

I used Disk2Vhd to copy a physical drive. I would now like to use Vhd2Disk to write that copy onto a new physical drive. Does the new drive need to be the same size as the old drive?

Thanks,
Richard.

Orkblutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orkblutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 10:42pm
Hey,

it will use the same MBR offsets for the partitions so you need at least same size or bigger. If it's bigger I think you could use tools to extend partition...

regards,

orkblutt
richard_r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard_r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 12:26am
I made a backup image of my SSD (GPT / UEFI Windows 7 install) using disk2vhd, I have mounted the VHD on another computer and can see all the right partitions using Paragon Partition Manager, but am unable to write this VHD back to the SSD, have even deleted all partitions on the SSD and made sure it's offline. is VHD2Disk GPT aware? it doesn't appear to show all partitions/volumes...
orynider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orynider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:10am
Hello,

I made a ful backup of MS-VPC Windows enviroment and restored this backup on a empty clean formated with NTFS File System 20 MB IBM HDD.
The Recycle, System Volume Informations and other directories created automaticly by Windows XP have been automaticly deleted and particions replaced by the partitions from MS-VPC VH Disk.

Here is a screenshot:
Ory.
TCousar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCousar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 6:27pm
I've just installed on a Windows XP system. It worked yesterday on another XP system, but it's not working on this one. I get a message saying it can't run the application because it's not configured correctly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic