Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 autologon problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
56ksurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56ksurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 autologon problem
    Posted: 16 August 2009 at 1:27pm
Hi folks,
yesterday our university's MSDNAA published the final Windows 7 version (windows 7 professional  6.1 Build 7600, english, x86) for download. I just downloaded and installed it (on an intel-atom/nvidia-on mini htpc) and almost everything works like a charm.
Except the autologon:
I installed it on my livingroom-media-HTPC so no security concerns with autologon.
What I tried:

Plaintextpassword in registry: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon)
-DefaultUserName(RegSZ): Name
-DefaultPassword(RegSZ): Pass
-DefaultDomainName(RegSZ): Domain
-AutoAdminLogon(RegSZ): 1
=> DOES NOT WORK!

Sysinternals "AutoLogon":
-Name/Domain/Password entered
-Genereates Registry Entries in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon)
--AutoAdminLogon(RegSZ): "1"
--DefaultUserName(RegSZ): Name
--DefaultPassword(RegSZ): Pass
--ForceAutoLogon(RegSZ): "1" (but if you view the value in binary mode there is sth like "1...0...1...A.U.T.O.L.O.G...A..."
=> DOES NOT WORK!

"Windows Run"->"Netplwiz"->"User must enter a user name and password..." unchecked
-does the same to the registry like the previous method! only the "ForceAutoLogon" is missing.
=> DOES NOT WORK!

Concerning the "ForceAutoLogon":
If i manually change it to a real "1" the AutoLogon works with additional unwanted behavior:
-If I start the computer it logs on (Hey, thats what I want!)
-If I log off, i get logged on immediatly (ok, does not matter for me)
-If I use RemoteDesktop to connect to the win7 pc, I get logged off in the remotesession within seconds, and the pc does a local re-login (A NO-GO for me!!! I need RDP access!)

I just don't know what to try now... Any suggestions... Any other registrykeys or tricks?
Thanks in advance
Sebastian

Edited by 56ksurfer - 16 August 2009 at 4:42pm
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:02pm
Hi Sebastian,

Have you considered trying Autologon?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
56ksurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56ksurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:20pm
Tried it, does not work! But Thank you for your help.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:22pm
Can you elaborate?  I just tested it...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
56ksurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56ksurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:42pm
When I launch the "AutoLogon" app, I get a small window: Username, Domain, Pass. After entering the credentials I click "Enable" and it says: "Stored successfully..."
After restarting the computer Windows 7 stopps at the Logonscreen, and wants the password for the account (only one account with admin rights on the computer).
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 1:54pm
Sorry I missed the initial information you provided about trying Autologon - my eyes totally looked past it! Embarrassed

Quote Sysinternals "AutoLogon":
-Name/Domain/Password entered
-Genereates Registry Entries in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon)
--AutoAdminLogon(RegSZ): "1"
--DefaultUserName(RegSZ): Name
--DefaultPassword(RegSZ): Pass
--ForceAutoLogon(RegSZ): "1" (but if you view the value in binary mode there is sth like "1...0...1...A.U.T.O.L.O.G...A..."
=> DOES NOT WORK!

That is not the behavior of Autologon - it stores the password encrypted in the registry as a LSA secret.  I wonder of some settings from other experiments may be interfering with what Autologon does...  Try removing the related values and then running Autologon again (perhaps, make a backup of the key first)...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 5:02pm
Another report of Autologon working on x86 Win7, here...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
56ksurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56ksurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 5:23pm
All the other methods I described in the first post are working on my notebook (win7 x86), too. Just on my HTPC... nope! :) Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 6:03pm
Quote Just on my HTPC... nope! :)
Again, probably, some other settings are interfering - reset / remove them, perhaps, and try again...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
saravanan.oxford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saravanan.oxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 6:28pm
I am having the similar issue but I don't know the reason for that. Here is my problem.

Logged in as local administraotr, and installing our software on the machine. At the end of the software installation (i.e. in the post installation) we join the system in to the domain and we will enable the autologin functionality for one specific user. When I restart the machine first time, it automatically logged in to the user specified in the DefaultUserName.
When I tried restarting the machine 2nd time, It doesn't login automatically.
Then I looked in to the registry entries (winlogon) and saw that "DefaultPassword" entry got deleted and also "AutoAdminLogon" property is set to 0.
When I manually change these values and tried restarting, it works but only the first time.

Note: I also tried increasing the count "AutoLogonCount" property and also by deleting this field from the registry but that doesn't help me.

The question now is that,
1. Why the entry "DefaultPassword" is getting deleted? because which in turn turns the AutoAdminLogon
property.
2. How to overcome this, I don't want to tell my customer to login with the creditentials when ever the computer is restarted.

Thank you for  your reply.

Regards,
Saravanan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic