Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Internals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Windows GPO Editor vs programmatic registry edit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows GPO Editor vs programmatic registry edit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows GPO Editor vs programmatic registry edit
    Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:44pm
How is it that I may freely change GPO settings via the editor as opposed to making a change to the registry via a C++ program or command line?

For example:

If I wanted to disable the Properties option from the Recycle Bin context menu I can do that if I open up the Local Group Policy Editor and goto "Local Computer Policy > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Remove Properties from the Recycle Bin context menu", enable the policy, which sets a value under the key, "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer", with the name NoPropertiesRecycleBin and a value of 1. And everything works fine.

Now let's say I directly modify/create/access this key, say from a C++ program, or even the command line, why do I get an an Access Denied Error?

Edited by TheLopper - 16 July 2017 at 8:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic