Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xperf showing high DPC in DX12, now what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anastasiosy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xperf showing high DPC in DX12, now what?
    Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:06am
Hi,

I've been trying to troublehoot sudden freezes of my PC and have used LatencyMon to identify the drivers with the highest ISR count as per below

Digging into this a bit more using XPerf, it appears that my system is producing an abnormally high number of interrupts when calling DxgkpCalibrateGpuiTimerDpc in dxgkrnl.sys and also FxInterrupt::_InterruptDpcThunk in wdf01000.sys as highlighted in the DPC/ISR timeline by module below.

The question is, what can I do about this?
Can I disable DX12 or this calibration of the timer? Any other idea? Thanks in advance.

MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 5:44pm
share the ETL via Onedrive link and I'll take a lool at it. try if a GPU driver fixes it
Luis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 2:53pm
Hi MagicAndre1981,

I know you have been helping many users with their high latency problems, and am requesting your help with mine.

When I try to download anything from the internet, whether several web pages with firefox/chrome, or download some files, my cpu usage spikes. Task manager shows a very high cpu usage but doesnt say what is causing it.

When my browser is idle: Firefox/Chrome and VLC media player may be using 4% and 2% of the cpu respectively, and total cpu usage may be 8%.

But when I start loading some web pages, these 2 programs remain at 4% and 2% but my total cpu usage spikes to 20 or 25%. Unfortunately task manager doesn't say what is using up so much cpu. So I assume it's the system interrupts or some other internal.

I notice there is a problem because my mouse pointer doesnt move smoothly during these high cpu minutes. The mouse movement becomes choppy.  Also, if I am playing music or watching a video (USB DAC), the audio/video becomes choppy.

After the browser finishes loading the web pages, the cpu goes back to 7 or 8%, and my mouse and video/audio go back to normal again.

Latencymon blames ndis.sys, tcpip.sys and wdf01000.sys for these cpu spikes.

Interrupt to process latency: 84,000..
highest reported routine execution wdf01000.sys 29.13..
highest reported dpc routine execution ndis.sys 71475..
highest execution time ndis.sys 71.75 ms, second highest execution time tcpip.sys 50.11 ms

I updated my network adapter driver, but this didn't make any difference. Network driver date 4/13/2017

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Here is my compressed highCPUUsage.etl file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htrjfpcssyadcja/highCPUUsage.rar

Thanks,

Luis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic